If you haven’t read this book, it is a must have for any personal development library. I’ve had so many epiphanies while listening to this book and each time I listen to it I get something else from it depending on what I’m going through at the time.
Lisa outlines the ‘bounce back muscles’ that you need to develop to enable you to overcome any obstacle or challenge that is put in your way to reach your goals and ultimately live the life that you want. Lisa tells of her struggles and breakthroughs and after reading this book you will feel empowered that you CAN DO anything.
I know you are probably visioning the muscles of your body. Well these are a little different. They are character traits that range from the ability to understand the lessons behind the hardship to the willingness to take action despite uncertainty. Lisa Nichols describes the nine bounce-back muscles as follows:
1. Your Understanding Muscle: the ability to see the lessons behind the hardship
2. Your Faith-in-Myself Muscle: the belief in yourself and your ability to endure
3. Your Take-Action Muscle: the ability to move forward despite obstacles
4. Your I-Know-Like-I-Know Muscle: your connection with something higher than yourself
5. Your Honesty Muscle: the ability to acknowledge the truth about yourself and your role in the hardship
6. Your Say-Yes Muscle: the willingness to share your talents with the world
7. Your Determination Muscle: the ability to stay focused on the end goal despite distractions
8. Your Forgiveness Muscle: the ability to forgive yourself and others for past mistakes
9. Your Highest Choice Muscle: the ability to make choices for your greatest good
This book is full of gold nuggets that help you develop and strengthen your bounce back muscles, and I don’t want to give too much away because you really need to read this book. However there is one technique that came to me just as I needed it. It helps you develop your ”Faith in myself muscle- pressing the stop button on your minds negative chatter“, and I am going to share this with you today. The following is largely taken from ‘No Matter What’ by Lisa Nichols.
Our lives are a living, breathing manifestation of the conversations and thoughts going on in our heads. And sometimes the negative chatter is so loud that we can’t hear any of the positive chatter that is trying to get through. Without awareness of this you can not change. Becoming aware means that you can stop the negative chatter whenever it threats to take over.
By keeping our self talk positive we can focus on our goals, we start to gain more self confidence and then believe in ourselves and this allows you to keep moving forward.
Remember that the Law of Attraction states that like attracts like so you need to focus on what you DO want instead on what you don’t want. So for example, change ‘I don’t want to fail……to………..I will do whatever it takes to succeed’
You need to develop a plan of action ahead of time, one that includes a physical reminder of your intention. A reminder to switch off the negative self talk, and let your positive talk amplify.
So here is a technique which you can use to stop that negative chatter and turn it around:
- “I want you to visualize that there is a dual CD player in your head (just go with me on this). On the left side is a negative CD, on the right a positive CD.
- The next time you recognize that your listening to your negative self talk, take your index finder and press the left side of your forehead as if to press stop on the negative CD playing.
- Then press the right side of your forehead to start playing the powerful one. Think about what you really want and your thoughts and feelings will change to positive.
Pressing these points on your forehead creates a physical que to remind yourself to change your state of mind.
This technique is based on Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP). Using a physical action to trigger a physical state of behavior is called anchoring. Lisa recommends that if you are in a situation where you need to be a little more discrete, touch the center of your left palm and then your right palm.
Another suggestion is to say ‘cancel’ to stop the negative and then ‘redo’ to start the positive. It doesn’t matter what technique you use just as long as you have a physical commitment to listen only to the thoughts that serve you and move you forward towards your goals”.
There you have it. Pretty simple but with great results. Try it and let me know how you go.
Now the first thing you need to do is to go and order a copy of Lisa’s book if you haven’t read it.
Have you heard of this technique? Do you use it? I’d really love to hear from you about your experiences with this technique? Are you going to start using it?
Leave me a comment below. And if you like this send it to all of your Facebook and Twitter friends.
Have a powerful and uplifting day