But how do you get over your procrastination and just get on with on with things.
The first thing is to recognise that your are procrastinating. Come on Admit it ( or else you wouldn’t be reading this post). Be honest with yourself that you are procrastinating and try to figure out why. What is holding you back? Once you know the answer to these questions you can put some strategies in place to deal with, get over it and just get on with what needs to be done.
- Do up a weekly schedule to fit in everything you need to do and STICK TO IT. This includes scheduling time for exercise, personal development, time with your family and income producing activities. Make sure that when you are doing a task put in 110% and do not let distractions get in your way. Ensure that you incorporate time for relaxation and fun.
- Create a relaxed work area that gets your creative juices flowing and inspires you to create awesome results. Fill it with things that you love like fresh flowers, a plant, scented candles or incense, or pictures of your dreams and loved ones, affirmations and quotes on post it notes, anything that works for YOU.
- Break large tasks into small achievable goals and tasks with deadlines to have them completed by. Its amazing how when you know something has to be completed by a certain time you will pull out all the stops to get it done. Remember to reward yourself for a job well done.
- If you are feeling overwhelmed, take a step back and focus on a few things at time. If you are trying to loose weight, make a commitment to go for a half an hour walk each day. Then slowly build that up to 45 minutes and so on. Start with the commitment to drink 2l of water per day, and then slowly start to eat cleaner, and you WILL start to notice the difference. Once you have a few strategies down pat then bring in some others. If you are looking to market your business, don’t try to become an expert at everything. Focus on 2 perhaps 3 marketing strategies and get really good at them before moving onto some others.
- If you are unsure of something, get the knowledge you need by reading books or researching your topic. Did you know that if you read the top 5 selling books in the area that you want to become an authority, you will know more about that topic than most of the population. You could also consider outsourcing particular tasks if this is an option in your budget.
- Make a to do list the night before for the next day of maximum 5 things that you want to get completed the next day. Make the commitment not to go to bed until all the tasks for the day are completed.
- Get yourself an accountability buddy. Ask a friend or family member. It should be someone you trust who you don’t want to let down, but will also pull you into line if you need it. At the start of the week send your buddy the goals/tasks that you commit to for the week. Give them an update mid week, and then an update at the end of the week. This doesn’t need to be a time consuming task for them but rather a process which will keep YOU accountable.
- Take regular breaks to refresh and recenter. Take deep breaths, or get outside for some fresh air and sunshine. Go for a walk, have a cup of tea and listen to an uplifting inspirational, or spiritual audio book. Make time for play.
- Don’t try to do everything perfectly. You don’t have to be perfect and no one expects that you will be. You just have to be you. There are people out there waiting for you to step into your power and share your gifts with the world. Rather than perfection aim for progress and recognise that any small step toward completion is an accomplishment.
The main thing is TAKE ACTION towards reaching your goals. It doesn’t matter if its only a small step, you have started and you just need to keep moving forward.
I hope you found these points useful. I’d really love to hear from you. Is procrastination a problem for you? what techniques and strategies do you have in place to get on with things?
Leave me a comment below. And if you like this send it to all of your Facebook and Twitter friends.
Until next time. Have a productive and uplifting day.